Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Paths

The daycare is a least a ten minute walk so two trips there and back must constitute an hour unless my math is wonky. I considered in the factor that I had to carry Ryder from home to the top of the hill which must double the time, since he weighs at least 50 lbs. Having taken care of the time factor for exercise for me, I had to insist that Tyla come along since a little sunshine and a bit of exercise is much nicer than an hour in front of the television.

She had yet to venture outside today and still I did have to insist. For the first few minutes she walked with a drooped head and a lip that dragged along the ground leaving dust trails of gloom in its wake. I teased her a bit about the lip dragging thing and she smiled, so I reverted to kid mode and walked the top of the concrete barriers and jumped down right in front of her, chased her for a way until she forgot all about the previous mood.




We got Ryder from the daycare and right away he wanted to climb down the steepest hill beside the parking lot and I had to direct him to another place where a gully ran through rocks and it was a little safer going. He made it to the bottom and turned around and scampered back up the hill. Kids love paths.

The moon was out again in roughly the same place, a little rounder as it inches toward full. Tyla says, "The moon's not supposed to be up in the day time." I launch into another explanation designed for her, this one a little wiser for some concepts she can grasp at ten that Ryder just can't at three.

Inspired by the success I had with the trestle shot and pointing into the sun, I tried the contrasting trees, so many trunks and yet it all stems from one tree, huge at the base where it comes from the ground and splits into ten or more little trees, like a family they gather at this one corner outlook.




As we cross the road the old lady's house on the corner, she's gone now. The fence along the road ends abruptly at the corner and a small path winds down into her yard. I try to cover it up as I pass and pause to let Ryder go by. Too late, he's already seen it and of course wants to go down into the yard. "People go here," pointing and implying a path means people.

"Just because you see a path, doesn't mean you have to go down it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home