Monday, March 28, 2005

Yellow inside gray

How cliché are the railroad tracks? Images of lines disappearing in the distance yet somehow the rails, the wet, and the need for a simple image to begin the journey for today with. A miserable day indeed, if one were prone to see life in terms of weather all the time.




Every day is a good day. I learned to ignore rain when I was a treeplanter on the coast of BC. There it rains all day every day and the fingers of wet drumming on the head eventually drive the most stalwart insane. When the wind picks up off the ocean it becomes true horizontal rain and it finds every crack in the defense so that everyone is always wet. Today's rain is nothing like that although it is coming down pretty straight and hard. I have a hood, I don't notice it. I like the wet, refreshing and glistening.

Why do today what you can do tomorrow, credo of the procrastinator. I needed tobacco, I walked to Safeway, then to the mall to get the pens I was after yesterday. By the time I arrived I was completely soaked through my jacket. My smoke pack was starting to get wet and my camera was a little damp too. When I left Wal Mart the rain had stopped and by the time I got near the school the sun was actually trying to make an appearance. It was obvious from the shape of the clouds around that it wouldn't last long.




Today, in desperation for something to photograph amidst gray wet, I went for yellow. The gate that keeps vehicles out of the school grounds on holidays is locked and painted yellow. It kind of gleams in the odd light happening as the sun tries hard to shine through the density of the overhanging clouds. If for nothing else than to see how the colour translates I frame a random image on the locked gate. It is a duller shade when viewed after the fact but it still has an appeal I like, especially the drops of rain on the lock.




Later up the hill I try again for abstract yellow along the wall that the high school lets the students practice their graffiti on. Some stark directional lines accentuating the colour and this one too comes out paler but still rich in a way not seen at the time.

The pens are awesome. Black thin-line gel pens. The ink flows very cool and goes on dark. With the 10 boards I purchased the other day I will finish 10 drawings, documenting their progress as I go. I have started a separate blog for them and will be trying to post an image after approximately an hour of work. So far it looks pretty good and it is definitely influencing the drawing since I never really know what it will become until it is all over. Check under 'dee brook zee' for the latest installment. This is proving very inspiring. I guess I am a 'hippy' artist. I have my own interpretation of what that means and it has nothing to do with cleanliness.

1 Comments:

Blogger 666poetry-finchnot said...

these are my favorite 3 pics

love the rain dripping off the lock

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home