Tuesday, April 26, 2005

by the skin of my teeth

A day I dreaded for awhile now. Free Dentist Day. Fortunately the head Dental Hygenist for Interior Health was able to get me on the list to be a recipient of free dental work. I had nine teeth pulled today in less than an hour. Total bill is usually about 120 a tooth, so almost a grand worth of work for free. It's awesome and it's the dentists' dedication to good Oral health that should be commended her. But I saw Mara, the woman who set it all up, on my way to the school with Tyla this morning so I took that as a sign meaning things would go well. I went an hour early and they gave me some Atavan, supposed to take away some of my anxiety. jenn calls them baby Valiums. After taking it I went back outside and sat across the street at the pawn shop. The guy in there is ultra chill, old biker who's seen his share of things. I told him what was going on. Asked him if he'd ever heard of this Atavan and he said no. "I've done lots of different drugs in my life but never that one," I said. No, never heard of it, he said.

The dentist was well aware of my nervousness. I described in detail the time a tooth crumble while the dentist was extracting it and it made me start to shake so bad the dentist dragged me out of the chair and up to the hospital because he thought I was having an allergic reaction. There they gave me a tranquilizer and told me I was just having an anxiety attack. So today when I start shaking, I hold up my hands to show him, I see the little arcs of light between the fingers but I think he sees a tremble perhaps. Regardless he tells me it's the drug that comes along with the anesthetic, some ephedrine thing maybe, he said it rattles the nerves a bit. The assistant threw a blanket over me and I calmed down. Weird that the only pain I felt the whole time was when she slipped and let the suction cup pinch my lip. Otherwise they came out of my head like pulling your baby finger out of a pound of butter. In fact some of them he just stuck his little crow bar in there, pried the tooth back and forth and bit and she came along with the vacuum tube and sucked the tooth right out. In case you're wondering these nine teeth were just root tips basically so there was nothing to be saved. It is weird they are gone, to avoid being known as the poet with the toothless skull I here and now choose cremation, ashes to be spread across the elephant eye, the real one, the one Arron and I tried to find before the bear scared us away. Hmm, I wonder now, are blogs legally binding.

Garry picked me up right after the work was done and we went to the gray house for supplementary medicine that works amazingly well with Atavan. For about an hour I didn't even think about the fact I had just had nine teeth pulled. But of course on thinking that, it was on my mind until later when I finally got some sleep.



Testing weak batteries again I took a few shots of some colour. The pink and yellow, I don't know, primrose something or other looked very cool and had just bloomed today.



Then the tulips, Jenn called them Dutch but I thought she said wild...that's Texas isn't it. I should go to Texas just to find my wild rose. Maybe someday....uh yeah.



I'm not sure what these little blue flowers are. Jenn says anemones, but I looked up pictures on google and they aren't quite the same. The anemones have distinct little circular leaves and these have more like daisies or whatever those ones are where you do ..she loves me..she loves me not... I never did win that game...wahhh. Circular blue flower.



Then I took a couple of ten inch shots of Jenn's face with the close-up feature. The first one cut off her mouth, the second one cut off her eyes, so with a little computer manipulation I was able to save it to a single file.. I call it "Pieces of Jenn" . . . sounds like a good title for an epic ...hmmm


1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Dave - I might just have to move to Canada. I have about 9 that need some free prying too. Unfortunately, I'm phobic, literally, of the dentist, and the good ole U S of A offers no free tooth yanking day to my knowledge. The pics of the flowers are beautiful. I have no idea what any of them are though. I had some like that in my yard - they were bluebells - but I had to really search to find that out. I have more Irises blooming - they're a horrible color like old blood. I might chop them down. Anyway, I'm rambling - hope the mouth doesn't hurt too bad. *hug* ~E

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home