Sunday, September 25, 2005

in the garden


The yellowest flowers sit in the center of the garden where close access is not easy. I walked into the garden carefully stepping between flowers and secured a good spot next to the yellow. I reached out and held the camera an inch and a half above the bee and took the shot.


The butterflies were not as easy to capture. As soon as the lens got about six inches away they were gone. I got lucky here as one landed where I had just startled one away and therefore he barely noticed the camera. A little off center but whatever.


The waning light of the day and the season spatters throughout the purple flowers and vibrates a sound that can only be felt with the eyes.


The orange was nice, like a little pumpkin. A couple of young girls wanted to pick it even though they've been told no. I told them to go ahead but only after I had photographed it. When they saw the photo on the viewing screen on the camera neither of them wanted to pick it anymore because they saw how amazingly beautiful it was.


I just love the colour of blue on the inside here. The purple leaves were pretty cool too but lost a little in translation.


Well it only took me about ten shots to get one of this flower that was in focus. It must be the way the elements and their colour that confuses the camera as to where to focus. I found that this angle, with the sun at the bottom like it's setting gave the best focus.


Incongruity, the toes juxtaposed with a small round bolt. Turned into a B&W it adds an air of oddness to it also.


This is the cherry picker cleaning the court house. I took this shot from the car as we rounded the corner. I had to adjust the tilt of it and ended up cropping off large portions on the side but this came out not bad considering. It is a rather nice building after all.

6 Comments:

Blogger Hector the Crow said...

Awesome shots. Your new digicam is almost as good as a microscope. I kind of like it that the butterfly is off center. Why must everything be centered? Sometimes a little lopside makes things interesting.

7:29 AM  
Blogger dave said...

thanks jd, yeah I really dig the 'microscope' effect!

I only wish I'd gotten that edge of the wing in, it would have made a nicer balance, I think center was the wrong word, alas ........ today, butterfly hunter will return!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Dez M.E. King said...

i loves all the flowers

it must still be a bit warm there
it's hot here still
still hot
no autumn to be found, even in the shadows...

7:48 PM  
Blogger Lorna Dee Cervantes said...

Hi Dave! I posted the following long comment to my blog today in answer to a comment from Jenn. It's pretty self-explanatory.

http://lornadice.blogspot.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lorna Dee Cervantes said...

Jenn- You sent me the link and called Dave a "brilliant photographer" so I had to have a look. Plus, I'm a lazy gardener, I like to look at other people's flowers. You were right. Brilliant. I stayed up all night the other night, even though I had stayed up the night before and had no intention of staying up again. First, besides all the pics, I was lured in by all the Buddhist entries in the early archives. (I'm taking a Tibetan Book of the Living & Dying class right now, and have been reading zen buddhist texts since I was a kid)

It was like Yeats's trance writing - before I knew it, with no intention to at all, I wrote 61 hay(na)ku poems that night/morning. I always liked haiku, also as a child, so that's what attracts me to the contemporary hay(na)ku form. I extended it. So now I've been wanting to honor it, and it is the practice Dave exercises - like bits of life waving: I'm here! I'm here! And, I have something to tell you

Tell Dave ("Dave's not here!" sorry) that I'd like to do a book of these. I have enough now, but there were more, I know, because there are many more of the photos that compel me. I'm tempted to post all 61 of them here with the fotos. Maybe one-a-day? All not without his permission of course. Mostly, I just want to see & read them together, text & image, right now! which seems to be what they are about. The book has a working title of The Poetic of Now. It would have to be an expensive glossy unless I could find an enlightened publisher other than the economically maxed-out one I have now, and it could be a kid's book, too, as a separate market, as all the poems would be quite suitable for k-12.

All realized now.


26/9/05 12:48

8:10 PM  
Blogger dave said...

dez... these were all taken at lakeside, where it is still warm yes, the flowers are disappearing quickly though, damn, summer seem to end after shambhala for me.

lorna ... thanks for checking out the photos, and in the words of Doris Day????... whatever will be will be ... continue.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Lorna Dee Cervantes said...

"The waning light of the day and the season spatters throughout the purple flowers and vibrates a sound that can only be felt with the eyes."

Purple Garden

~ for Jenn


Children
Grow in
The dark — hair

Like
Flowers. Coated
Dreams. Pulling leaf-flyers.


9/27/05
Lorna Dee Cervantes

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home