Friday, September 23, 2005

light observations


Rather than a series of soft edged layers leading to the center, this flower has a rough serrated edge to the spiral spinning in and portends more a feeling of danger than say the soft lusciousness of the tender rose.


While it may become somewhat boring visually after a while the whole idea of having a photographic project to work on with my daughter is so beneficial. When I was a child I totally remember my father always taking pictures and on some level it probably influenced my decision to learn photography. So, maybe when she's older she will have good, if not odd memories, of her dad chasing a skull around the neighbourhood and photographing it everywhere.

I am really intrigued by this angle on the landscape. I have only to wait for the perfectly lit moment now. This is not quite it.


I love this effect. A B&W shot in which I bumped up the contrast a little and it makes it look like a sketch or something two dimensional anyway. This is the center of a John McKinnon sculpture that sits in the park. It is called "The Secret" and the essence of the idea is contained in this focal point.


'Girls w/ Guitars' played the Royal in Nelson. Personally I am really tired of stark flash shots of musicians performing on stage. Without the flash though there is never enough light. This was a 1 second exposure. I knew it would be blurry as Pauline was strumming so fast on the guitar even a quick shutter speed would hardly have frozen the motion. I like the double effect here, with the 'girl' rocking her head to the music. Much more so than any other shot that night, this one really summed up the feel of the music.


Very strange shadows! The perfect time of day for this fence to express it's essence along a uneven sidewalk that flows downhill.


As I turned from taking the shadow shot, right on the pole in front of me was this squirrel. The nut he carried in his mouth was so large that he was having trouble moving. Any kind of quick squirrel like darting motion was out of the question and it allowed me to get a little closer before he was too scared to hang around.


The perfectly solitary leaf sits within a background pattern calculated to provide a harmonic blend of light and one single point of focus.


This is a confusing shot for me as I find it quite boring but thoroughly engaging also. The effects of light. Good advice to give to aspiring photographers. Take pictures of light doing something.


Details , details, it's all in the details. The tiny stones tossed upon the leaf by passing feet went completely unnoticed until I viewed the photo, nice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home