Saturday, June 17, 2006

hearing faces

I read at the Vienna Cafe tonight. A very cool venue, not a lot of noise, surrounded by books and an attentive audience. Before going I recorded a few poems over the phone using a website that creates the file and puts it in a folder for you. Erin did one, then James, these are two poets i have known for a long time online, as friends and to hear them read their own work was quite amazing. It's very weird because as a reader you find that poet's voice and you 'hear' it a certain way, so that when you actually hear them read it, it's like, no, that's wrong, that's not how it goes, meanwhile, it's their work. The second time through is much better. I was totally pleased to hear them and it seems I know them both better suddenly. How strange is that?

I realize I have already published a couple of these here but it's nice to have it in one place. I will have to experiment more with this. Thanks Erin and James for the inspiration. Enjoy?


powered by ODEO
death in motion

today i watched the crow fly
to the eave and knock
the chickadee egg
to the concrete below
then land and turn its head
in a funny way so the beak
could suck up the yellow juice
that leaked out


powered by ODEO
sit down

without reservation
accept the invitation
to enter the frame
take a seat in the chair

all this goes on inside
unknown to the wearer of the mind
that interprets messages
heard within the wave
of the trees dancing
as thoughts in the emptiness and solitude
of contemplation

held in a moment
of mental fluctuation
this entrance into a place
of only ideation
is like a mini vacation
from whatever aspect
of the life experience
your current chair's situation
found itself
before you left it for here
or more appropriately
there
where
realizing the effect of imagination
dissipates the daydream


powered by ODEO
a powerful drug
well i could go take .. when the rest of .. here i think a new .. but what about the .. where is .. whoa this feels strange .. what if i .. no that won't work .. then .. yeah that's cool that works .. oh no it doesn't .. gone wisped away .. the end of the road is .. why do the noises seem so loud .. okay focus .. breathe .. walk .. change places .. stop doing that .. do this .. no that's not it either .. damn i need something .. what i don't know .. hands shaking .. mind quaking .. trying to hold onto a thought .. to execute an action of .. oh pain in the neck .. each slow motion movement stirs tension rises exemplifies the lack .. of what .. what .. but i want .. i want .. what .. the answer .. so elusive the nerves rise in response to .. no stimulation .. looking for places to finalize their message .. missed missed .. noise without sound bounces around between pinball chaos inside the mind .. try to find cohesion .. .. then two lips sip .. so slow .. a little bit and as liquid flows down the course of the body .. everything eases away into normal again .. drugs in the veins .. as i drain the coffee

9 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Woo Hoo!!!

I have always adored the Canadian accent, the way Canucks say "out" especially. I sat and grinned the whole way through all three of these. It's really amazing how hearing it in the author's voice makes it more... alive, isn't it? SO glad I did this, and inspired James (and Mary too now) and you to do this. I still am not fond of my own voice, but it was well worth it to (finally) hear all of yours (though I have talked to Mary on the phone so I already knew she had a great voice... but her voice with her poetry is even awsome-er, lol.)

YAY! Thanks Dave! *huuuug!*
~E

11:57 PM  
Blogger Sir James Eric Watkins said...

You've really captured something here. You kick major ass my friend. This is fucking cool. You're right too. It seems no matter how well I thought I knew Erin, and now you, my expirence is completely enhanced, like the perception around the outer curves of a drug induced vision.

I did another one right before I jetted over here. check it.

12:02 AM  
Blogger dave said...

thanks you two, and you're right Erin Mary's is quite awesome. weeee, more to come.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

These are wonderful. Especially liked a powerful drug. Hearing really enriches the experience!

5:24 AM  
Blogger dave said...

thank you 'zilla'. I agree it enriches the experience immensely!

7:26 AM  
Blogger Dez M.E. King said...

hmm, haven't listened yet, but i enjoyed a powerful drug when i read it...dave, you coffee freak!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Dez M.E. King said...

lmao...god, good to hear your voice again.

i especially liked the, yeah tha's cool that works, no it doesn't...part, and it was made so much better by your reading.
try to find cohesion
try to find leonard cohen?

6:51 PM  
Blogger dave said...

mmmm ... coffee. Yes a very intense withdrawal I hope to never experience again, pass the sugar please.

your turn dez!

9:52 AM  
Blogger westcoastmama said...

THESE WERE FREAKING AMAZING!!!! OKAY, SO THIS IS THE NEW DRUG OF CHOICE, I'M THINKING!

And stop talking about me like that ;-P lol You make me blush. I think I'll have to record my laughter just to make everybody laugh along with me!!

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home