Sunday, March 11, 2007

a retrospective

Two years ago I started this blog and have kept at it almost daily since. I have enjoyed it because it gives me a reason for going out and taking photos. Sort of a mental justification for continually looking for images all the time, everywhere. I went through each month and chose my favourite photo from each. I did not consider flower photos except for one, the first, or scenics. The beauty of them comes from nature not me. It is only my job to record it, if possible, so I leave credit for their existence to nature, not me. But what happens when you choose one from each month is that if I had a particularily successful month a lot of good images would be passed over. So these may not be my top 24 but at least my personal favourite would be among them. I don't know which that would be. Perhaps the shadow one where it looks like I have wings. I have always been partial to B&W. July 2006 was probably the best month overall for colour etc.

March 2005

I like the colours and composition of this shot. Kids and puddles are a wonderful thing. The first of many photos that would include Ryder.

April 2005

In fact that's his hand in this shot too. This photo has movement. The breaking light rays and reverse motion of the hand with the flicker effect of the straight bands behind keep this moving.

May 2005

My toes. Composition and colour. I love the change in visual texture the toes bring.

June 2005

It's like sound and the tiny white feather whose shadow beneath lends a depth to this.

July 2005

Ah, the first photo with the new camera. The beginning of my obsession with flower photos. I love the colours and clarity in this.

August 2005

I've always been partial to mannequin photos. It's all I ever look for wherever I go. It's an obsession I've had for twenty-five years. This one has a good blend and some subtle colours but the placement of the car and the expression on the person's face are what make it special for me.

September 2005

The colour and the way the whole thing is a fake representation of freedom of motion.

October 2005

Yeah well, sometimes images need to startle to keep the perspective objective, another mannequin photo that speaks to me of kinky love denied, yikes.

November 2005

I like the journey the eye takes as it realizes the two shapes are of the same source and one is inside the other. The careful composition of lines keeps everything moving back and forth.

December 2005

I love the non-border aspect of this. Reminds me of being a prisoner holding on to the bars and yet there is no cell around you, perception being the only prison held onto.

January 2006

There is a thing about the line placement here that forces a balanced focus to a perfectly round shape that just so happens to have my head in it. I like these kinds of shots where the viewer realizes it is a careful composition that makes it successful.

February 2006

Colours and mood here. It's like a painting of time or something.

March 2006

This shot reminds me of a cliche about touching the face of god?. I like the timing of the ripples and the splay of the fingers. The contrast of the gray and purple is cool.

April 2006

It's the story and how it is open to interpretation depending on perception and details of memories. Keep it simple.

May 2006

I think I have a thing for shadows. This reminds me of scribble tag, confusing. I love the way the coloured lines look like they were drawn in after the fact. Note how the blue line rises just in time to go over the head of the kid.

June 2006

Shadows. The composition of this is perfect. I love the wings on the back of the photographer and the way the rectangle of the camera fits perfectly with the surrounding lines.

July 2006

The orange short, the lines in the sand, the boat in the water, the sunlight hitting the water, everything keeps the eye bouncing around to settle on the boy, Ryder again.

August 2006

The step. Timed just right adds balance to the frame and motion to the composition.

September 2006

Another mannequin shot. I've always been big on strange juxtapositions.

October 2006

This is a photo of thought, the way the reflected trees within the dome of the head seem to be tibetan prayer flags, a perfect representaion of what goes on in mind, mine anyways.

November 2006

I love the painting hanging on the tree. The blend of the reflections is ideal.

December 2006

Simple, sometimes is so easy to see. I love the division of the frame into some kind of balance and the personality that is forced to come from the birds in order to explain this.

January 2007

I consider this a mannequin shot. I like that it doesn't look like a photo, more like a painting, and there is a strangeness to the split.

February 2007

As time goes on I'll probably like this less and less but for now the timing of it is like an animation about flight, it's almost educational.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sir James Eric Watkins said...

These are killer!

You know that.

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home